Thursday, March 5, 2009

Month in Taipei

While we have just arrived to this wonderful church in the Philippines, I would like to first take time to reflect on the last 2 weeks we spent in Taiwan.  Since the last post, Jason and I have found ourselves leading small groups, preaching in church, speaking and praying at a nursing home, playing basketball at a juvenile detention center, and speaking at a university club.  I would like to share some of my favorite thoughts from these times.

So just to give a quick review- in Taiwan, we were working with a group from the Antioch Baptist Church called the Antioch Missionary Training Center- they were all great people who blessed us to the max and became good friends of ours.  Here are some of my favorite moments with them these past 2 weeks I'd like to share.

Women's Salon Small Group
We spent 2 weeks with these wonderful women.  The group is held at a woman named Candy's beauty salon.  The first week going in, we had a discussion about life- the life that Jesus spoke of- the life God has given us- and how we're able to pour that life into others- I talked about a good friend of mine named Ashli and how she uses her hair skills as a place to encourage and bring life to others.  The following week, there was nothing really pressing on my heart to speak about, so I asked God what He would want me to speak on, and immediately the word "Love" came to my mind- nothing more, just love.  So that time was spent discussing the Taiwanese view of the word "Love" and how it was used or shown in their culture and we as Americans talked about the same.  The Taiwanese women shared how the phrase "I love you" isn't said often in their culture, but is more understood through their actions, showing their love for each other.  Jason and I shared how the word "love" is overused often in the American culture to describe our feelings about our favorite food to describing our committed passion for God and others.  The discussion led to us talking about a view on love that was neither Taiwanese or American, but biblical- a love that's greater than us- a sacrificial love that goes beyond ourselves and only comes from our Father.

Sunday Morning Speaking
On the third Sunday of the month, I was asked to speak again.  The first Sunday, I spoke on loving God with everything inside of us.  On this Sunday, I spoke on "Greater things are still to be done in this city."  Title being taken from the song "God of This City" by Chris Tomlin.  I spoke on the greater things to be done being the fullness of life and love we have received from God being given to others or as many call it, ministry.  I encouraged everyone to understand they were all full time ministers and had three thoughts for their everyday life/ministry.  One is to be themselves and use their gifts God has given them- not just using the methods of others, but using the gifts God has them.  I mentioned Camp Melody and Red Sea Affair.  Two was a line I heard from Pastor Lloyd from MCUSA where he said, "Build big people, not a big ministry."  Since hearing that line, I haven't looked at ministry the same.  And lastly, encouraging everyone with the thought that in the end, love wins- love is what makes the difference.  Whether we hand out tracks, build relationships, or participate in acts of service, doing so with God's love makes all the difference.  The service went very well, and many good conversations came from that Sunday.

Basketball and Jesus
I have found it is really easy to bring up Jesus in conversations with others when He is the one who brought you to their country.  I've also been learning more personally, the more of my daily life is lived with Jesus, the easier and more natural it is for me to share Him with others.  In one small group, the Living Water small group led by Brotha Joseph, I shared if I just ate and breathed basketball, if it was all I focused on, if I spent a ton of time playing everyday and kept up with all the latest stats of the NBA, guess what would come up in conversation when you talk to me... yep, basketball.  And the more and more I'm spending time with Jesus and the more He works through me- the more natural I'm finding Jesus come into my conversation with any random people I meet.  For instance, the fellas I played basketball with- being able to sit after a game and have many conversations with guys was a highlight for me this month.  To be able to talk to them very normally, very unpreachingly (new word?),  about my faith and what God's currently doing in my life has made me feel alive and blessed for Him to work through me in those times.  So how bout we add basketball to the schedule every Sunday morning?  Think about it :)

So those are some thoughts on our awesome month in Taiwan.  We were so blessed by everyone- even in the fun days we had like going to see the pandas at the zoo, walking through paths of flowers at the beautiful Yang Ming mountains, and checking out the Palace Museum with Pastor Joanna, Esther, Brotha Joseph and Claire.  

Pray for Taiwan and the Antioch Baptist Church everyone- there are many people in Taipei who need to hear the good news about Jesus and the people at ABC are some of the great people God is using as a light to the world.

The Philippines have been fantastic so far and we'll give an update soon on our adventures here.  We appreciate your prayers more than you know.  We've felt attacked spiritually most heavily over the past week and we thank you all for fighting for us in prayer.  Jesus bless you guys!  Til next time,

Jerry

No comments: