Monday, February 16, 2009

Somewhat Sickly

Foremost, my apologies to the faithful viewers of this blog; we should like to have posted more pictures and videos than we have, but it has proven more difficult than we should have hoped it to be - uploading a single picture, for example, takes approximately twenty minutes. That's about the time it takes to heat up and eat a bowl of noodles, and I can't eat that much.

As the title suggests that someone is somewhat sickly, I will admit to being the somewhat sickly one, with some emphasis on the somewhat. All is well though, as I'm really quite enjoying the opportunity to slow down for a couple of days and let God use me in more subtle and relaxing ways. Consequently, for those who know me it will be of no surprise that I took to writing my thoughts in an essayistic form, but for the sake of not posting a four page document on this blog, relaying my thoughts to reflect that of Serve the Worlds, and getting philosophical on a more or less journalistic blog, I created one for my purposes. I'll still post on here to reflect on how the trip is going, but I'll periodically post my silly thinking on The Thinking Order (oh yeah) blog as well.

Returning to the purpose of this thread, Jerry and I had the awesome opportunity to speak at an orphanage last Saturday, and I must say that it was such a time of splendor. We did not take pictures, but someone there was and it'd be great to see if we could get our hands on them. We played games, I told stories while Jerry acted them out for me, and we gave many, many high-fives. Initially the children (6-12) were a bit uncertain of us, but after they watched us perform a slow-motion drama, they decided we were strange and fun - ten minutes, in fact, was designated to Jerry pretending to pass an invisible ball in slow-motion to various children, they would throw it back with incredible force and we would consequently be knocked over by it. As I said, I told the stories: the story of Jesus walking on water and Jesus talking to children, the story therein being that if we do what Jesus does we can do incredible things, and Jesus loves talking and spending time with children. We concluded with praying with the children and hanging out for a short while. It was amazing, and please pray for the children - I cannot fathom being an orphan, but they were so wonderful I should like them to know just how much God loves them.

We also thoroughly enjoyed riding through Taipei on the back of mopeds. I have and will continue to describe portions of the Asian transportational system as "Transportational Anarchy", but miraculously, it works. I took a couple of videos of this adventure, and hopefully will be able to upload them overnight. We viewed the 101 Building (tallest building in the world until a few weeks ago), enjoyed the Lantern Festival, and had a marvelous chat with our hosts - two of the church deacons: Joseph and June. As always, it was a pleasure to be able to share with our hosts.

This evening Jerry will be speaking at a local hospital (I wish I could be there, but due to my sickness was advised against it) and later this week I'll be speaking at a Juvenal Hall. Please be in prayer that I would share with them what the Lord would have me share; I have an idea, but I want to make sure it's His idea. We are daily challenged by God, and I admit openly that this has been a massively introspective trip for the both of us; as much as we're privileged to share with others, it is likely more beneficial to us, and I pray the stamina to joyfully walk through this time, and result a stronger, more loving and more faithful Believer.

Please pray for us as we begin the latter half of our time in Taiwan.

No comments: