Thursday, February 12, 2009

First Stop: Taiwan


As I sit here reflecting on the past two weeks, I can only think that life is good.  Life is good because God has taken me on an incredible journey just to get out here, and now that I'm here, I see why.  These first weeks in Taiwan have been full of spiritual growth and blessed ministry.  My thought has always been, "Ministry is people."  So far we've been given the opportunity to witness and talk to young professionals, youth of the church, those attending the Sunday morning church service, small groups, church staff, and complete strangers.  No matter what the audience though, my thoughts are with the individual people.  I want to know their lives, their hurts, their joys- and through honestly caring and loving people, allow God to open doors to share the gospel.

"You're a real cool guy," Lee said when he was walking away from me at Burger King.  We came upon the part in our schedule for the month called "Individual Evangelism."  Jason and I talked to the staff and said we would prefer to do this part of ministry in a very relational, comfortable setting for people.  So last Tuesday, I was taken to Burger King while our Taiwanese brothers and sisters went out in search of some people who wouldn't mind sitting down and talking to an American who recently arrived in Taiwan.  About 2 minutes later, four univeristy-aged people came on over.  I loved being able to sit down, ask them about their lives and see what they think about Jesus.  I found it is really easy to bring Jesus into the conversation when He's the reason you're in their country.  God started opening doors and I was able to explain to them Jesus and a love relationship with God and how it's different from just following a religion.  I could tell something was going on inside of them, especially my new friend Lee.  He was really thinking and asking a lot of really good questions.  Lee and his friend had to leave earlier than we would have liked, but I could tell that he walked away changed.  He didn't receive salvation that night, but for the first time, Lee was introduced to Jesus and a new life that God had planned for him.  While walking away, Lee stopped, looked at me and said, "You're a real cool guy."  For me, that was awesome.  He saw that I didn't view him as unsaved person A.  He was able to sit down and talk to someone who for some reason cared about him and without judging him or his past actions, tell him about God's sacrificial love and grace through Jesus.  I handed him a paper with my testimony in English and Chinese as well as some information on the back about giving your life to Christ- so please pray for Lee.  In our talk I could see how God loved him so much and had an awesome plan for him- please pray for his salvation and journey with God!

In other Taiwan news, here are some pictures of some fantastic people we have met in Taiwan:



We are staying right next to the National Taiwan University- which is a dream for me because I get to walk over there everyday and play basketball!  I've been able to meet some great guys over there.

This is Jason watching intently during a youth group game.  These guys are great- I was able to speak with them afterwards about living as a Christian and they took us out to eat on Sunday- great group of youth.

This was pretty much our man night with our friends Jun and Joseph.  We are here posing with medals at a promo stand for the deaf olympics later this year in Taipei.


These two people are Joseph and Esther.  They are awesome and some of the most wonderful hosts ever.  They always take us out to eat and we've probably spent most of our ministry time with them.  Two of the coolest Taiwanese people we've met.

At the National Taiwan University, there was an anime convention and students were dressing up like characters from Japanese comics and shows.  This is me looking like a ninja with my ninja clan.


Well that's all for now.  Thank you to everyone once again for all you're prayers!  This is truly God's trip.  He's calling the shots and we're lovin the ride!  All credit goes to Him for anything good that's happening, so remember to thank Him!  Jason and I are doing great and feeling alive!

Jesus bless,

Jerry 

No comments: