Friday, March 6, 2009

Taiwan in Retrospect

For the sake of being absolutely honest about the status of this trip, I will begin with a comment on our present state in the Philippines. From there, I assure you, I will do as my title and Jerry's post suggests, and talk about Taiwan. Here it goes: the Philippines is hot; it is ridiculously hot and humid, and it is only going to get hotter every single day. Also, we ate pig face. More about the Philippines after Taiwan.

Please note that both Jerry and I posted today, so be sure to read his post first.

I give a moment of reverence and some blinking as I consider just how quickly the month of February flew by and, consequently, how quickly our time in Taiwan passed. On one hand I remember how Clair suspiciously looked at us when we first arrived, then I remember vividly our last lunch with her went and the sharing of hearts; I remember feeling rather flat-footed as we were first introduced to the marvels of Individual Evangelism, then I remember in the end being thanked for sharing our perspective on loving the lost and getting to know them. I will, with great injustice, try to recall a few favored moments of the trip, that everyone may share in our Joy of the Lord, and be in prayer for those we've met.

Meetings with the Pastor:
Pastor Joanne, I assure you, is one of the more genuine women of Christ I have met. In those meetings it would be Jerry, me and the AMTC staff - including "Brotha" Joseph, Clair, Esther, Judy, and, of course, Pastor Joanne. We would sit in a circle and discuss the past week and, usually, what was on the mind of either Jerry or me. This may not seem like much, and to be honest I'm often not a fan of meetings, but the takeaway of said meetings were always good, and the teachability of the staff simply humbled me. Important decisions are made in these meetings, and they are always wreathed in prayer; I ask others to be in prayer for them and their ministry, for I cherish these Servants of God.

Lunch Time:
Per the generosity of the church, we would often be taken out by one of the staff or youth. I consider myself a connoisseur of one-on-one conversations and, I must say, these times of edible fellowship were wonderful. I am of the opinion that it is a long lost, and often unappreciated, art: a meal and a chat. I recall reading that eating is one of the most intimate forms of human interaction; there's just something about slowing down to a meal with a good friend and discussing life, the universe, and classical literature. These moments were so thoroughly enjoyed as I got to meet some marvelous children of God over such delicacies as American-style Cheeseburgers and Pork & Peanut Butter Pizza. This, I believe, is some of the best and most effective places to be a missionary, for behind the pulpit one is reduced to speaking en masse and reaching the heart through the ears; the heart, if one recalls in biology, is much closer to the stomach.

The Lulala Club:
Pronounced Loo-la-la, this was a club at the local Northern Taiwan University with a goal on serving, so as you can imagine we found an immediate mutual interest. Jerry and I were invited to speak at one of their meetings, in spite of being a secular group, and when we got there were delighted to find many of the members to be as strange as ourselves - to get to know one another, the Lulala conducted a small circle dance which included jumping, clapping, spinning, squatting and singing a goofy Chinese song. I felt immediately relaxed. Then, after an introduction testimony by "Brotha" Joseph, Jerry and I went up, introduced ourselves and let the Holy Spirit take over. This time, the Holy Spirit manifested itself in the form of me getting the students to act out the New Testament story where the four friends take their lame friend to the place where Jesus was staying and lowered him through the roof after finding it impossible to walk in the front door (roof deconstruction being an obvious, logical, secondary plan). The story ensues that Jesus, rather anti-climatically by immediately apparent standards, tells the lame man that he's forgiven him of his sins. From there the Pharisees inform Jesus they didn't much appreciate his forgiving of sins, for how could he? Jesus retorts by asking them if it would be easier to heal him or forgive his sins, and then heals the man. I talked about how Jesus sees the problem, but unlike us he sees the greater problem and seeks to put into perspective first what our real need is and will always treat that need. Jesus, as I concluded, was the Son of God and a doer of great works, yet he, by who he was, performed the greatest work in his sacrifice and met the greatest need. To be honest, my favorite moment was reminding the "four friends" not to drop their lame friend and how to properly hold a lame person - not, I assure you, by each person gripping a limb and lifting, for that yields disastrous results.

Taiwan Epilogue:
Ultimately, in spite of all they gave us, the church and training center gave us more parting gifts, which I will be sure to show off upon returning. Not because the gifts are so wonderful, though they are, but because I know the givers, and they certainly are most wonderful.


The Philippines:
As I said, we ate pig face, and drank mango juice. Also, we're now with the pastor in the urban area of Manila and, though it is true poverty, Jerry and I are certain already that these are absolutely wonderful people. We've already had the opportunity to meet and talk with a wonderful woman dying of cancer named "Mamang" - i.e. mother. My heart went out to the woman as she sat looking very, very weak, but had such a beautiful smile with kind, caring eyes. Speaking for her is difficult, so we do most of the talking, but I love this woman, and marvel at the opportunity we have to let her know. From there we met with the local youth (about twenty or so) and had a great time getting to know them, and finally told stories to the little ones (David and Goliath - a classic) most of today and will be with some young adults in the evening. Other than that, I say once more, it is so hot.

Please pray for the local ministry - specifically their need to own the lot of land they use and, in spite of no financial means at present, fully believe the Lord will provide. Incredibly, they are up every day at 4:00am at the church praying for this, the nation and each other. Wow. Then, as Jerry mentioned, please pray for us spiritually, for the enemy has most certainly being sending some pretty heavy attacks our way, specifically mine. We love you and thank you from our hearts for your faithful prayer and giving.

1 comment:

Jason said...

For the record, per the correction of Clair, I would like to change the adjective found in paragraph three, sentence two, word eight - "suspiciously" - to instead be the more accurate word: "curiously".

Thank you.